Table of Contents
Barbara Feldon biography
Barbara Feldon is an American actress and model best known for her role as Agent 99 in the popular 1960s television series “Get Smart.” Here’s a brief biography of her life and career:
- Barbara Feldon was born on March 12, 1933, in Butler, Pennsylvania, USA.
- She attended Carnegie Mellon University, where she studied drama and graduated with a degree in theater.
- After college, Feldon began her career as a model and was highly successful, appearing in various advertisements and fashion magazines.
- Barbara Feldon achieved widespread fame and recognition for her role as Agent 99, alongside Don Adams as Maxwell Smart, in the TV series “Get Smart” (1965-1970).
- Her portrayal of the intelligent, resourceful, and stylish Agent 99 made her a beloved character in the spy-comedy series.
- She received two Primetime Emmy Award nominations for her work on “Get Smart.”
Post-“Get Smart” Career:
- After the show’s conclusion, Feldon continued to work in television, making guest appearances on various series, including “Cheers,” “Mad About You,” and “Frasier.”
- She also had a recurring role on the soap opera “Search for Tomorrow” and provided the voice of Miss Bliss in the animated series “The New Adventures of School.”
Theater and Stage Work:
- Barbara Feldon has appeared in theater productions, including “The Prisoner of Second Avenue” and “Luv.”
- She authored a book titled “Living Alone and Loving It” (2003), which explores the joys and challenges of living independently.
- Barbara Feldon was married to actor Lucien Verdoux-Feldon from 1958 to 1967.
- She has been known for her privacy and has kept her personal life largely out of the public eye.
Barbara Feldon’s portrayal of Agent 99 in “Get Smart” remains one of the most iconic roles in television history, and she is fondly remembered for her wit, charm, and intelligence. Her contributions to both television and modeling have left a lasting legacy in the entertainment industry.
Trivia of Barbara Feldon
Certainly! Here are some trivia and lesser-known facts about Barbara Feldon:
- Modeling Career: Before her acting career took off, Barbara Feldon had a successful career as a fashion model and appeared in various high-profile magazines and advertisements.
- Stage Work: She made her Broadway debut in the play “Love, Loss, and What I Wore” in 2009.
- “Get Smart” Character Name: While her character is famously known as Agent 99, her real name is never revealed in the series.
- “Get Smart” Popularity: “Get Smart” was a popular series during its run and won several Emmy Awards. It even inspired a feature film adaptation in 2008, in which Feldon made a cameo appearance.
- Voiceover Work: Barbara Feldon lent her voice to several animated series and commercials over the years, including voicing “Beulah the Witch” in the “Underdog” animated series.
- Spy Spoof Success: “Get Smart” was a spoof of the spy genre, particularly James Bond films. It blended humor with espionage, making it a unique and successful show of its time.
- Emmy Nominations: She received two Primetime Emmy Award nominations for her role as Agent 99 in “Get Smart.”
- “Get Smart” Props: Barbara Feldon kept some iconic props from the show, including the famous shoe phone, which she received as a gift after the series ended.
- Pseudonym Usage: At the beginning of her career, she used the pseudonym “Barbara Boone” because she thought her real name was too long and difficult to pronounce.
- Privacy Advocate: Feldon has been known for her desire for privacy and has often shied away from the spotlight, preferring a quieter, more private life.
- Author: She authored the book “Living Alone and Loving It” in 2003, which explores the joys and challenges of living independently.
Barbara Feldon’s portrayal of Agent 99 in “Get Smart” continues to be celebrated by fans of the series, and her contributions to television and entertainment remain an enduring part of pop culture history.