Dana Delany is an American actress known for her work in television, film, and theater. She was born on March 13, 1956, in New York City, New York, USA. Delany has had a successful and diverse career, earning recognition for her performances in various roles.
Here’s an overview of Dana Delany’s career and accomplishments:
Dana Delany began her acting career in the late 1970s, appearing in minor roles on television shows like “Love of Life” and “Ryan’s Hope.” She gained attention for her work in the soap opera “China Beach” (1988-1991), in which she played the role of Colleen McMurphy, a nurse during the Vietnam War. Her portrayal of this character earned her critical acclaim and two Primetime Emmy Awards.
- “Desperate Housewives” (2007-2010): Delany joined the cast of this popular comedy-drama series in its fourth season, playing the character Katherine Mayfair.
- “Body of Proof” (2011-2013): She starred as Dr. Megan Hunt, a medical examiner, in this crime procedural series centered around forensic investigations.
- “Hand of God” (2015-2017): Delany had a role in this Amazon Prime series, playing Crystal Harris, the wife of a corrupt judge.
Dana Delany has also appeared in various films, including:
- “Exit to Eden” (1994)
- “Fly Away Home” (1996)
- “Tombstone” (1993)
- “True Women” (1997, TV movie)
Stage and Theater:
In addition to her work in television and film, Dana Delany has been involved in theater productions. She has performed in both off-Broadway and regional theater productions, showcasing her versatility as an actress.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Delany has received several awards throughout her career, including two Primetime Emmy Awards for her role in “China Beach.”
- She has been nominated for Golden Globe Awards for her work in both television and film.
Activism and Humanitarian Work:
Dana Delany has been an advocate for various causes, including women’s rights, reproductive health, and environmental issues. She has been involved in organizations supporting these causes and has used her platform to raise awareness.
Dana Delany’s career has been marked by her ability to take on diverse roles in different mediums, from television to film to stage. Her talent, dedication, and activism have solidified her as a respected figure in the entertainment industry.
Table of Contents
Trivia of Dana Delany
Certainly! Here are some trivia tidbits about Dana Delany:
- Education: Dana Delany attended Wesleyan University, where she studied theater and received her Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Early Career Choices: Before pursuing acting full-time, Delany briefly worked as a cocktail waitress and a tour guide.
- Almost a Spy: Delany was considered for the role of Dana Scully on the TV show “The X-Files.” However, she turned down the role, which eventually went to Gillian Anderson.
- Voice Acting: Delany provided the voice for Lois Lane in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies series, which includes films like “Superman: The Animated Series” and “Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.”
- Inspiration for “Desperate Housewives”: The character of Katherine Mayfair, whom Delany played on “Desperate Housewives,” was inspired by her own experience of growing up in New England.
- Pilot Episode of “Friends”: Delany appeared in the pilot episode of the popular TV show “Friends.” She played the role of a woman named Susie who seeks revenge on Chandler for an embarrassing incident in the past.
- Ambassador for UNICEF: Delany has been involved with UNICEF and has served as a Goodwill Ambassador for the organization. She has traveled to various countries to raise awareness about children’s rights and global issues.
- Animal Lover: Delany is an advocate for animal rights and has supported organizations that focus on animal welfare and protection.
- Stage Performances: In addition to television and film, Delany has performed in numerous stage productions, including Shakespearean plays and other classic works.
- Hobbies: Delany enjoys cooking and has even participated in cooking competitions. She has also taken up painting as a creative outlet.
- Health Advocacy: After playing a medical examiner on “Body of Proof,” Delany became interested in medical procedures and anatomy, leading her to advocate for women’s health and preventive care.
- Support for Mental Health: Delany has spoken openly about her experiences with therapy and how it has helped her navigate challenges in her life. She’s been an advocate for mental health awareness and breaking stigma.
These trivia facts provide insight into Dana Delany’s diverse interests, career choices, and advocacy efforts beyond her roles in television and film.
Movies and webseries of Dana Delany
Dana Delany has been involved in various movies, TV series, and web series throughout her career. Here’s a list of some of her notable works in each category:
- “Moon Over Parador” (1988) – Delany had a supporting role in this comedy film starring Richard Dreyfuss.
- “Light Sleeper” (1992) – She appeared alongside Willem Dafoe in this drama film directed by Paul Schrader.
- “Tombstone” (1993) – Delany portrayed Josephine Marcus, a love interest of Wyatt Earp, in this western film.
- “Fly Away Home” (1996) – She played the role of Susan Barnes, the mother of the main character, in this family drama about a young girl and her efforts to save geese.
- “True Women” (1997, TV Movie) – While not a movie, this TV movie is a notable work where Delany portrayed Sarah Ashby McClure in a historical drama.
- “Exit to Eden” (1994) – Delany had a role in this comedy film based on the novel by Anne Rice.
- “China Beach” (1988-1991) – Delany’s portrayal of Colleen McMurphy, a nurse during the Vietnam War, earned her critical acclaim and two Primetime Emmy Awards.
- “Desperate Housewives” (2007-2010) – She joined the cast as Katherine Mayfair in the fourth season of this popular comedy-drama series.
- “Body of Proof” (2011-2013) – Delany starred as Dr. Megan Hunt, a medical examiner, in this crime procedural series.
- “Hand of God” (2015-2017) – She appeared as Crystal Harris in this Amazon Prime series.
- “Kidnapped: The Hannah Anderson Story” (2015) – Delany starred in this Lifetime web series based on true events.
Please note that this list includes some of the notable works Dana Delany has been involved in, but it may not encompass every single project she has done. Her career has been diverse, spanning across various genres and mediums.