Table of Contents
Mamie Gummer biography
Mamie Gummer, born on August 3, 1983, in New York City, is an American actress known for her work in film, television, and theater. Let’s explore her biography:
- Family Background:
- Mamie Gummer is the second daughter of renowned actress Meryl Streep and sculptor Don Gummer. Growing up in a family deeply connected to the arts, Mamie was exposed to the world of entertainment from an early age.
- Educational Background:
- Gummer attended the Kent School in Connecticut and later studied theater and communications at Northwestern University, where she honed her acting skills.
- Early Theatre Career:
- Mamie Gummer started her acting career in theater, performing in various productions such as “The Water’s Edge” and “Hunting and Gathering.”
- Film Debut:
- Gummer made her film debut in “Hearts and Bones” (2000), a drama in which she played a supporting role. However, her breakthrough role came later in her career.
- Breakthrough Role in “Evening”:
- Her breakthrough came with the film “Evening” (2007), where she played the younger version of her real-life mother Meryl Streep’s character. The film showcased her acting prowess and established her in the industry.
- Television Appearances:
- Gummer has appeared in various television series, including roles in “The Good Wife,” “The Big C,” and “Emily Owens, M.D.”
- Success in Theatre:
- Mamie Gummer has had success on Broadway, earning praise for her performances in productions such as “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” and “The Columnist.”
- Some of Gummer’s notable films include “Stop-Loss” (2008), “The Lightkeepers” (2009), and “Ricki and the Flash” (2015), where she starred alongside her mother.
- “The Collection” TV Series:
- Gummer played a lead role in the television series “The Collection” (2016), a period drama set in the world of Parisian fashion after World War II.
- Mamie Gummer became a mother in 2019, welcoming her first child with her then-husband, actor Mehar Sethi.
- “True Detective” Appearance:
- Gummer had a significant role in the third season of the acclaimed series “True Detective” (2019), where she played the character Lucy Purcell.
Mamie Gummer’s career showcases a combination of talent, versatility, and a dedication to both stage and screen. As the daughter of Meryl Streep, she has carved her own path in the entertainment industry, earning recognition for her performances across various mediums.
Trivia of Mamie Gummer
Certainly, let’s uncover some trivia about Mamie Gummer:
- Name Origin:
- Mamie Gummer’s full name is Mary Willa Gummer. The nickname “Mamie” is a term of endearment and is also a traditional nickname for girls named Mary.
- Theater Roots:
- Before making a name in film and television, Mamie Gummer started her acting career in the theater. Her early experiences on the stage laid the foundation for her versatile acting career.
- Acting Genes:
- Mamie Gummer comes from a family with strong ties to the entertainment industry. With her mother being the legendary Meryl Streep, she inherited a rich tradition of acting.
- Siblings in the Arts:
- Mamie is part of a creative family. Her siblings, Grace Gummer, Henry Wolfe Gummer, and Louisa Jacobson Gummer, are also involved in various artistic pursuits, including acting and music.
- Educational Background:
- Gummer studied theater and communications at Northwestern University. Her academic pursuits reflect her dedication to understanding and mastering her craft.
- Breakthrough in “Evening”:
- While Mamie had been in the industry for some time, her breakthrough role came with the film “Evening” (2007), where she portrayed the younger version of her mother Meryl Streep’s character.
- Stage Success:
- Gummer has received acclaim for her performances on Broadway. Her work in plays such as “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” and “The Columnist” showcased her talent in live theater.
- Marriage and Motherhood:
- In 2011, Mamie Gummer married actor Benjamin Walker. The couple, however, divorced in 2013. In 2019, she became a mother, welcoming her first child.
- Political Involvement:
- Gummer has shown an interest in political causes. She has been involved in campaigns and events supporting various social and political issues.
- “The Good Wife” Guest Role:
- Mamie Gummer had a guest-starring role in the television series “The Good Wife.” Her performance received positive reviews for bringing depth to her character.
- Collaboration with Meryl Streep:
- Mamie had the opportunity to share the screen with her mother, Meryl Streep, in the film “Ricki and the Flash” (2015), where they played mother and daughter.
Mamie Gummer’s trivia reflects not only her artistic talent but also her commitment to her craft, her family, and her interests beyond acting.