Table of Contents
Minnie Driver biography
Minnie Driver is a British-American actress, singer, and songwriter. She has gained recognition for her versatile performances in film, television, and music. Here are some key points about Minnie Driver:
- Early Life and Career: Minnie Driver was born on January 31, 1970, in London, England. She initially pursued a career in music and studied at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
- Film Debut: Driver made her film debut in 1995 with a small role in “Circle of Friends.” However, it was her role in “Good Will Hunting” (1997) that brought her widespread acclaim and an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
- “Good Will Hunting”: In the film “Good Will Hunting,” Driver played Skylar, the love interest of Matt Damon’s character. Her performance was widely praised and helped establish her as a talented actress in Hollywood.
- Filmography: Minnie Driver has appeared in a variety of films, including “Grosse Pointe Blank” (1997), “The Phantom of the Opera” (2004), “The Governess” (1998), “Return to Me” (2000), and “Ella Enchanted” (2004).
- Television Work: She starred in the television series “The Riches” (2007-2008) and has also appeared in shows like “About a Boy” and “Speechless.”
- Voice Acting: Minnie Driver has lent her voice to various animated films, including providing the voice for Jane Porter in Disney’s animated adaptation of “Tarzan” (1999).
- Music Career: In addition to her acting career, Minnie Driver is also a singer-songwriter. She has released several albums, including “Everything I’ve Got in My Pocket” (2004) and “Seastories” (2007).
- Charitable Work: Driver is involved in various charitable causes, including advocating for environmental and social issues.
- Dual Citizenship: She holds both British and American citizenship, as she has spent a significant portion of her career in the United States.
- Motherhood: Minnie Driver is a mother to a son, Henry Story Driver, born in 2008.
Minnie Driver’s talent, charm, and versatility have allowed her to make a mark in both the entertainment and music industries. Her work continues to be appreciated by audiences around the world.
Trivia of Minnie Driver
Certainly! Here are some trivia tidbits about Minnie Driver:
- Birth Name: Minnie Driver was born Amelia Fiona J. Driver. She adopted the name “Minnie” from a character in the novel “The Virgin and the Gypsy” by D.H. Lawrence.
- Musical Background: Before pursuing acting, Driver had a passion for music and even performed as a jazz vocalist in London clubs. She later incorporated her musical talents into her acting career.
- Oscar Nomination: Her breakout role in “Good Will Hunting” (1997) earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The film’s success catapulted her into the spotlight.
- “Phantom of the Opera” Audition: She auditioned for the role of Christine in “The Phantom of the Opera” (2004) and, while she didn’t land the role, director Joel Schumacher was so impressed that he offered her a different part in the film.
- Voice Acting Connection: In “Tarzan” (1999), she provided the voice for Jane Porter. Interestingly, her character’s design was slightly altered to resemble her facial features more closely.
- Multi-Talented: Driver’s talents extend beyond acting and singing. She’s also a talented pianist and guitarist.
- Relationship with Matt Damon: Driver dated Matt Damon while they were working on “Good Will Hunting.” Their real-life relationship brought authenticity to their on-screen chemistry.
- Environmental Advocacy: She is a committed environmentalist and has been involved in various environmental campaigns and initiatives.
- Accents: Driver is skilled at various accents, which has allowed her to portray characters from different backgrounds and regions.
- The Riches: In the TV series “The Riches” (2007-2008), Driver learned to speak with a Southern accent and even studied at a dialect coach’s farm to immerse herself in the accent.
- Motherhood: She became a mother in 2008 when she gave birth to her son, Henry Story Driver.
- Artistic Family: Minnie Driver comes from a creative family. Her father was a successful businessman, and her mother was a fabric designer and former couture model.
Minnie Driver’s diverse talents, dedication to her craft, and engagement in important causes have contributed to her unique and impactful presence in the entertainment industry.
Movies and webseries of Minnie Driver
Minnie Driver has appeared in various films and television shows throughout her career. Here are some of her notable movies and TV series:
- Circle of Friends (1995) – One of her earliest film roles.
- Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) – She played Debi, the romantic interest of John Cusack’s character.
- Good Will Hunting (1997) – Driver’s performance as Skylar earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
- The Governess (1998) – She starred as Rosina, a young woman who disguises herself as a governess.
- Tarzan (1999) – Minnie Driver provided the voice for Jane Porter in this Disney animated film.
- Beautiful (2000) – She portrayed Mona Hibbard, a role that showcased her singing abilities.
- Return to Me (2000) – A romantic comedy-drama where she played Grace, a heart transplant recipient.
- Ella Enchanted (2004) – Driver portrayed the evil stepmother in this modern twist on the Cinderella story.
- Phantom of the Opera (2004) – She played Carlotta Giudicelli, a role that required her to showcase her singing skills.
- Beyond the Lights (2014) – She played the role of Macy Jean, the mother of the main character.
- The Riches (2007-2008) – Driver starred as Dahlia Malloy in this dark comedy-drama TV series.
- About a Boy (2014-2015) – She played Fiona Bowa, the quirky and overprotective mother of a young boy.
- Speechless (2016-2019) – Driver portrayed Maya DiMeo, the matriarch of a family dealing with challenges related to disability.
- Modern Love (2019) – She appeared in an episode of this anthology series based on real-life love stories.
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, these are some of Minnie Driver’s notable film and TV appearances. Please note that her filmography may have expanded since then. Additionally, web series weren’t as prevalent during her career’s peak, so her work has primarily been in traditional film and television formats.