Table of Contents
Tovah Feldshuh biography
Tovah Feldshuh is an American actress, singer, and playwright known for her versatile career in film, television, theater, and as a performer on the stage. Here’s a brief biography of her life and career:
- Tovah Feldshuh was born Terri Sue Feldshuh on December 27, 1952, in New York City, New York, USA.
- She was raised in a Jewish family with a strong cultural background.
- She attended Sarah Lawrence College, where she studied acting and earned her Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Tovah Feldshuh’s theater career has been highly acclaimed. She has appeared in numerous Broadway and off-Broadway productions.
- One of her most notable roles was playing Golda Meir in the play “Golda’s Balcony,” for which she received a Tony Award nomination.
- Her other Broadway credits include roles in “Yentl,” “Lend Me a Tenor,” “Irena’s Vow,” and “Pippin,” among others.
Film and Television Career:
- Feldshuh has a diverse filmography with roles in both film and television. She appeared in movies such as “Kissing Jessica Stein” (2001) and “Lady in the Water” (2006).
- On television, she has been a part of various series and TV movies, including “The Walking Dead,” “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” and “Law & Order.”
- She is known for her one-woman shows, including “Tovah: Out of Her Mind!” and “Tovah: Crossovah! From Broadway to Cabaret,” in which she showcases her talent as an actress and singer.
- Tovah Feldshuh is also a talented singer and has performed in cabarets and musicals throughout her career.
Awards and Honors:
- She has received several awards and nominations for her work in theater, including Tony Award nominations and the Theatre World Award.
- Feldshuh is an advocate for various social and humanitarian causes and has been involved in charitable work.
Tovah Feldshuh is celebrated for her remarkable talent, particularly in the theater, and has made a significant impact on the entertainment industry through her diverse and accomplished career.
Trivia of Tovah Feldshuh
Certainly! Here are some trivia and lesser-known facts about Tovah Feldshuh:
- Early Interest in Theater: Tovah Feldshuh developed a passion for theater at a young age and was active in school productions during her childhood.
- Name Pronunciation: Her first name, “Tovah,” is pronounced “TOE-vah,” and her last name, “Feldshuh,” is pronounced “FELD-shoo.”
- Tony Award Nomination: Feldshuh received a Tony Award nomination for her performance as Golda Meir in “Golda’s Balcony.” This portrayal is one of her most iconic roles.
- Languages: She is multilingual and has a talent for languages. She is known to be fluent in several languages, including Hebrew and Yiddish.
- Educational Background: Tovah Feldshuh attended Sarah Lawrence College, where she studied acting. She later continued her training at HB Studio in New York City.
- Portrayal of Israeli Leaders: In addition to playing Golda Meir, she has also portrayed other prominent Israeli leaders on stage, including former Prime Minister Menachem Begin.
- Emmy Nominations: Feldshuh has received multiple Emmy Award nominations for her television work, including nominations for her performances in TV movies and series.
- Broadway Record: She holds the record for the most performances by an actress in a one-woman show on Broadway for her production “Golda’s Balcony.”
- Family Ties: Her daughter, Amanda Feldshuh, is also an actress, continuing the family’s involvement in the entertainment industry.
- Historical Significance: Tovah Feldshuh’s portrayal of Golda Meir in “Golda’s Balcony” was significant not only for her career but also for its historical importance in portraying the life of Israel’s first female prime minister.
- Genre Diversity: Throughout her career, Feldshuh has demonstrated versatility by performing in a wide range of roles, from drama to comedy and from stage to screen.
- Charitable Work: She has been involved in various charitable organizations and causes, including those related to the arts and social justice.
Tovah Feldshuh’s talent and dedication to her craft have earned her critical acclaim and a lasting legacy in the world of theater and entertainment. Her ability to portray complex characters and her multilingual skills have contributed to her reputation as a versatile and accomplished actress.