Justine Bateman is an American actress, writer, and producer, best known for her role as Mallory Keaton in the popular 1980s TV sitcom "Family Ties." She was born on February 19, 1966, in Rye, New York, USA. Justine comes from a family with a background in the entertainment industry, and she has had a successful career in film, television, and other creative pursuits. Here's a biography of Justine Bateman:
Early Life and Family:
Justine Tanya Bateman was born to Victoria Elizabeth, a former flight attendant, and Kent Bateman, an acting coach, film director, and writer. She is the sister of actor Jason Bateman, and her parents' involvement in the industry influenced her early interest in acting.
Justine Bateman began her acting career in the 1980s with guest roles in various television shows. However, her big break came in 1982 when she was cast as Mallory Keaton in the hit sitcom "Family Ties." Her role as the materialistic and fashion-conscious sister of Michael J. Fox's character brought her widespread fame and recognition.
Film and Television Career:
After "Family Ties," Justine Bateman continued to work in television and film. She appeared in movies like "Satisfaction" (1988), "The Closer" (1990), "The Night We Never Met" (1993), and "The TV Set" (2006). On television, she had guest roles in shows like "Desperate Housewives," "Men in Trees," and "Californication."
Writing and Producing:
Apart from acting, Justine Bateman has explored writing and producing. She studied computer science and digital media management at UCLA, and she authored a book titled "Fame: The Hijacking of Reality" in 2018. She has also worked behind the scenes in various productions.
Justine Bateman is known for her intelligence and academic achievements. She attended UCLA in the 1980s, and in 2016, she returned to the same university to study computer science.
Justine Bateman has been married to Mark Fluent since 2001, and they have two children together.
Social Media Activism:
In recent years, Justine Bateman has become an advocate for the responsible use of social media and has been vocal about its potential negative impact on mental health.
Justine Bateman's career has been characterized by her early success on "Family Ties" and her versatility in various creative fields. She has left a lasting impact on the entertainment industry and continues to be appreciated for her contributions to film, television, and media activism.
1. Real-Life Siblings: Justine Bateman is the older sister of actor Jason Bateman, who is known for his roles in "Arrested Development," "Ozark," and various films.
2. Early Start: Justine Bateman began her acting career at a young age, appearing in television commercials and guest-starring on shows before landing her breakout role in "Family Ties."
3. Music Video Appearance: Justine Bateman made a memorable appearance in the music video for the song "Raspberry Beret" by Prince in 1985.
4. Nominated for a Golden Globe: For her role as Mallory Keaton in "Family Ties," Justine Bateman received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical.
5. Directorial Debut: In 2018, Justine Bateman made her directorial debut with the short film "Five Minutes," which she also wrote and produced.
6. Name Inspiration: Justine Bateman's name was inspired by the novel "Justine" by Marquis de Sade. Her parents were avid readers and found the name appealing.
7. UCLA Studies: In addition to her acting career, Justine Bateman pursued academic interests and studied computer science and digital media management at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
8. Business Ventures: Justine Bateman co-founded a clothing company called "Section 5" in the 1980s. The company specialized in high-end women's fashion and operated for a few years.
9. Social Media Influence: Justine Bateman is active on social media and has garnered a significant following. She uses her platform to advocate for mindful and responsible use of social media.
10. Book Author: In 2018, Justine Bateman published her book "Fame: The Hijacking of Reality," in which she explores the concept of fame and its effects on individuals and society.
11. Philanthropy: Justine Bateman is involved in various charitable causes, supporting organizations focused on education, animal welfare, and mental health.
12. Artistic Family: Apart from her brother Jason Bateman, Justine Bateman's father, Kent Bateman, is an acting coach, director, and writer, and her mother, Victoria Elizabeth, was a former flight attendant.
Justine Bateman's multi-talented career and her contributions to various fields, from acting to writing and directing, have made her a respected figure in the entertainment industry. Her advocacy for responsible social media usage showcases her commitment to promoting positive change and awareness.