Kina Grannis is an American singer-songwriter and YouTuber known for her soulful voice and acoustic folk-pop sound. Here are some trivia facts about Kina Grannis:
1. YouTube Success: Kina Grannis gained widespread recognition through her YouTube channel, where she started posting videos of her original songs and cover songs. Her breakout moment came in 2007 when she won the Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest, earning her a record deal and a chance to perform her song "Message From Your Heart" in a Super Bowl commercial.
2. Debut Album: In 2010, Kina Grannis released her debut studio album, titled "Stairwells." The album received positive reviews and featured some of her popular songs, including "Valentine" and "In Your Arms."
3. Independent Music Career: After parting ways with her record label, Grannis decided to pursue an independent music career. She continued to release music independently, allowing her to maintain creative control over her work.
4. Asian American Heritage: Kina Grannis is of Japanese, English, French, Irish, and Scottish descent. She embraces her Asian American heritage and has been an advocate for Asian representation in the music industry.
5. Collaborations and Touring: Grannis has collaborated with other musicians and artists throughout her career. She has toured extensively, both as a solo artist and as a supporting act for notable artists such as Jason Mraz and David Choi.
6. Acoustic Folk-Pop Style: Kina Grannis' music is characterized by her gentle and melodic acoustic folk-pop sound. Her songs often feature heartfelt lyrics and showcase her soothing vocals.
7. Philanthropy: Grannis has used her platform to support charitable causes. In 2014, she initiated the "The Run Team," a collaborative project with her fans to raise funds for various nonprofit organizations through running races.
These trivia facts provide an overview of Kina Grannis' rise to fame through YouTube, her independent music career, her cultural heritage, and her musical style. Her success as a singer-songwriter and her engagement with philanthropy have endeared her to fans around the world.
YouTube Star Details
1. YouTube Origins: Kina Grannis gained significant attention through her YouTube channel, where she started posting videos of herself singing and playing the guitar. Her cover of the song "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman went viral, bringing her a wide online audience.
2. Asian Excellence: Kina Grannis won the "Best Web-Born Artist" award at the 2011 MTV O Music Awards. This recognition highlighted her impact as an independent artist who found success through online platforms.
3. Album Delay and Release: Grannis faced a delay in the release of her debut studio album, "Stairwells," due to a dispute with her former record label. However, she eventually released the album independently in 2010, and it received critical acclaim.
4. The Lantern Tour: In 2018, Kina Grannis embarked on "The Lantern Tour," a concert series inspired by her song "The Fire." The tour aimed to create an intimate and interactive experience for her fans, incorporating lanterns as a visual element.
5. Charity Single: Grannis released a charity single titled "Write It in the Sky" in 2014. The proceeds from the song were donated to the Jessie Rees Foundation, an organization dedicated to supporting children with cancer and their families.
6. Acoustic Innovations: Kina Grannis is known for her innovative use of looping technology in her performances. She often creates layered sounds and harmonies by recording and looping various musical elements live on stage.
7. Television Appearances: Grannis has made appearances on television shows such as "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Her performances on these shows helped expand her reach and introduced her music to wider audiences.
These trivia facts shed light on Kina Grannis' YouTube origins, her resilience as an independent artist, her philanthropic efforts, and her musical innovations. Her journey as a singer-songwriter has been marked by both online success and recognition in the mainstream media.