Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty
"Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty" is a documentary film produced by HBO Sports. It is centered around the Los Angeles Lakers' basketball team during the 1980s, a period when they achieved great success and became a dominant force in the NBA.
The documentary delves into the rise of the Lakers' dynasty, led by some of the most iconic figures in basketball history, including Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. It primarily focuses on the intense rivalry between the Lakers and the Boston Celtics during the 1980s, particularly in the NBA Finals, where they faced each other multiple times.
The title "Winning Time" is derived from a famous moment in Game 6 of the 1987 Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and the Sacramento Kings. The game is known for a pivotal shot by Lakers guard Magic Johnson, which secured the victory for his team and is often referred to as "Winning Time."
The documentary features interviews with key players, coaches, and personalities from that era, providing an in-depth look at the basketball rivalry that captivated sports fans worldwide. It also explores the impact of the Lakers' success on the sport of basketball and the cultural significance of their accomplishments during that era.
"Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty" first premiered on HBO in March 2010. The documentary was directed by filmmaker and sports documentarian Robert Scheer and is considered a must-watch for basketball enthusiasts and fans of sports history.
1. Emmy Awards: The documentary received critical acclaim and was nominated for several Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special.
2. Showtime Lakers: The 1980s Lakers team was often referred to as the "Showtime Lakers" due to their fast-paced, high-scoring style of play, led by Magic Johnson's exceptional passing and playmaking abilities.
3. Bird vs. Magic Rivalry: The documentary explores the fierce rivalry between Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, two of the greatest players in NBA history, as they faced each other in multiple NBA Finals during the 1980s.
4. NBA Finals Matchups: The Lakers and Celtics faced each other in the NBA Finals three times during the 1980s: 1984, 1985, and 1987. The rivalry between the two teams during this period is considered one of the most significant in sports history.
5. Game 7 Decider: In the 1984 NBA Finals, the Lakers and Celtics played a dramatic Game 7 at the Boston Garden. The Celtics emerged victorious, winning the championship, and this game is often cited as one of the most memorable in NBA history.
6. Magic Johnson's Performance: "Winning Time" highlights Magic Johnson's remarkable performance in Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals. With Lakers center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar injured, Johnson played the center position and delivered a triple-double to secure a crucial victory.
7. Lakers' Dynasty: The 1980s Lakers became a dynasty, winning five NBA championships during the decade (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, and 1988). They were coached by the legendary Pat Riley.
8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Despite his significant contributions to the Lakers' success during the 1980s, the documentary also sheds light on the challenges and scrutiny Kareem Abdul-Jabbar faced during his career.
9. Impact on Pop Culture: The Lakers-Celtics rivalry and the emergence of star players like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird contributed to the NBA's rise in popularity during the 1980s and had a significant impact on basketball's global appeal.
10. Legacy: "Winning Time" celebrates the legacy of the 1980s Lakers and their lasting influence on the NBA and basketball as a whole.
Please note that these trivia facts are based on information up to September 2021, and there might have been additional developments or insights related to the documentary beyond that time.