As of my last update in September 2021, Viola Davis is an American actress and producer widely regarded as one of the most talented and respected performers in the entertainment industry. Here is a brief bio of her based on the available information up to that time:
Full Name: Viola Davis
Date of Birth: August 11, 1965
Place of Birth: St. Matthews, South Carolina, USA
Viola Davis grew up in a low-income family in Central Falls, Rhode Island. Despite facing numerous challenges, she developed a passion for acting at a young age and pursued her dream of becoming an actress.
Davis began her acting career in theater and gained recognition for her performances in stage productions. She is a highly trained actress with a degree from the Juilliard School's Drama Division, one of the most prestigious performing arts conservatories in the world.
Her breakthrough in the film industry came with her role in the critically acclaimed movie "Doubt" (2008), where she portrayed Mrs. Miller, a role that earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Davis received further praise for her role in the film "The Help" (2011), for which she received a second Academy Award nomination.
In 2015, Davis made history by becoming the first African-American woman to win the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Annalise Keating in the TV series "How to Get Away with Murder."
Viola Davis is known for her powerful and emotionally charged performances, tackling complex and multidimensional characters with authenticity and depth. Her work has earned her numerous accolades, including an Academy Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, two Tony Awards, and a Golden Globe Award.
Beyond her acting career, Davis is also a vocal advocate for diversity and representation in the entertainment industry. She has spoken openly about the lack of opportunities for people of color in Hollywood and has been an advocate for greater inclusion and recognition for underrepresented voices.
Please note that there may have been further developments in Viola Davis's career or personal life beyond my last update, so I recommend checking more recent sources for the latest information.
1. Early Life: Viola Davis was born on a former plantation in St. Matthews, South Carolina. She grew up in poverty and faced challenging circumstances during her childhood.
2. Hunger and Homelessness: Davis has openly discussed her experiences with hunger and homelessness while growing up, emphasizing the importance of social change and providing opportunities for disadvantaged communities.
3. Stage Success: Before achieving fame in film and television, Davis had a successful career on stage. She won two Tony Awards for Best Featured Actress in a Play for her roles in "King Hedley II" (2001) and "Fences" (2010).
4. Acting Mentor: Davis has often credited the late actress Cicely Tyson as her acting mentor and inspiration.
5. "The Help": Her role as Aibileen Clark in the film "The Help" (2011) garnered widespread acclaim and earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.
6. Oscar Win: In 2017, Viola Davis won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Rose Maxson in the film adaptation of August Wilson's play "Fences" (2016).
7. "How to Get Away with Murder": Davis starred as Annalise Keating in the hit TV series "How to Get Away with Murder" (2014-2020), earning critical acclaim and making history as the first African-American woman to win the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
8. Philanthropy: Davis is actively involved in several charitable organizations and causes, including advocating for child hunger relief and supporting education initiatives.
9. Producing Ventures: In addition to her acting career, Davis is a producer and has been involved in producing projects that aim to bring diverse and compelling stories to the screen.
10. Honorary Doctorate: Viola Davis received an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree from her alma mater, the Juilliard School, in 2017.
Viola Davis's remarkable talent, advocacy for social change, and dedication to her craft have solidified her status as one of the most respected and influential actresses in the industry. Please note that trivia facts may change or be updated over time, so I recommend verifying these facts with more recent sources.