Yaya DaCosta is an American actress and model known for her work in film and television. She was born on November 15, 1982, in Harlem, New York City, USA.
DaCosta first gained national recognition as the runner-up in Cycle 3 of the reality TV show "America's Next Top Model." Her success on the show led to modeling opportunities, including a contract with Ford Models.
She later transitioned to acting, making her film debut in the critically acclaimed biographical drama "The Kids Are All Right" (2010). Yaya DaCosta has since appeared in various films, including "The Butler" (2013), "Whitney" (2015), and "The Nice Guys" (2016).
On television, she has had recurring roles in popular shows like "Ugly Betty" and "Chicago Med." Her portrayal of Whitney Houston in the TV movie "Whitney" earned her praise and recognition for her acting skills.
In addition to her acting career, Yaya DaCosta is also involved in philanthropy and activism, supporting causes such as breast cancer awareness and women's empowerment.
Her talent and dedication to her craft have made her a respected figure in the entertainment industry.
1. Modeling Career: Yaya DaCosta gained national attention as a contestant on Cycle 3 of the reality TV show "America's Next Top Model" in 2004. Although she was the runner-up, her modeling career took off after the show.
2. International Modeling: After "America's Next Top Model," she signed with Ford Models and had a successful international modeling career, working in locations like Paris and Tokyo.
3. Name Change: She changed her name to Yaya DaCosta in honor of her Brazilian grandmother.
4. "Whitney" Biopic: Her portrayal of legendary singer Whitney Houston in the Lifetime biographical TV movie "Whitney" (2015) received critical acclaim.
5. Musical Talent: Yaya DaCosta is not only a talented actress but also a skilled singer.
6. Drama Education: She studied at the North Carolina School of the Arts for drama.
7. Educational Background: Yaya attended Brown University for two years, where she pursued studies in International Relations before focusing on her acting career.
8. Social Activism: DaCosta is involved in social and political activism, speaking out about issues like racial inequality and police brutality.
9. Personal Life: Yaya DaCosta has a son, Sankara, from her previous marriage to film director Joshua Bee Alafia.
10. "The Kids Are All Right": Her film debut in "The Kids Are All Right" (2010) earned her positive reviews for her performance alongside Annette Bening and Julianne Moore.
These trivia facts showcase Yaya DaCosta's journey from a reality TV contestant to a successful actress and model, as well as her involvement in activism and her achievements in the entertainment industry.